Rent Affordability Calculator

{{ errors }}

{{ optionText }}
£{{ calculated | numberFormat }}
If a guarantor is required then they would also need to have an income of:
£{{ calculatedGuarantor | numberFormat }}

Landlords – Compliance and Preparing to Rent



There's a lot to consider but we can do it all for you, when you are one of our Managed Landlords.


Completed Terms of Business

This should be completed IN FULL and signed and dated by the owner of the Property. Where the Property is jointly owned we will require signed consent of all owners to rent out the Property. The document can be completed and signed via Docusign if you prefer to process this electronically. Alternatively, you can complete a paper version and the duplicate copy can be removed and retained with your own personal documents as a record of the information you have provided to us.


Client Identification / Money Laundering

Under the provisions of The Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 it is a legal requirement that the Agent must be able to identify their client. Therefore, all private Landlords are required to furnish Thornley Groves with their proof of identity to be held on file in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1988. Where there are joint Landlords, a copy of the relevant identification for each Landlord will be required. Where the Landlord is a company, at least two directors or a director and company secretary must furnish us with the relevant identification. The fact that you are being asked for these documents does not mean that you are suspected of money laundering.

For further information about suitable identification required for Thornley Groves to rent our your property, please click this link;




If your Property is mortgaged, you should obtain your mortgage company’s consent to the letting. They may require additional clauses in the Tenancy Agreement of which you must inform us.

sell my house

Mortgage Statement

Provide your most recent mortgage statement if property is mortgaged.

sell my house


If you are a leaseholder, you should check the terms of your lease and obtain the necessary written consent before letting. A copy of the head lease should be provided to us in case additional clauses are required in the Tenancy Agreement.


We need to be supplied with relevant keys, fobs, alarm codes and / or access arrangements to your Property. You should provide us with one set of keys for every adult on the Tenancy Agreement before the start date of the Tenancy. If you wish for Thornley Groves to manage your Property on your behalf, we also require a full set of keys / fobs which will be held at our office in case of emergencies and for the purpose of inspections.

Gas Safety Check

In accordance with the gas safety (installation and use) regulations 1998 the Landlord is responsible for ensuring that the gas supply to the Property, and any gas appliances within, are safe. This must be achieved by having a safety check carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer. A copy of the safety certificate must be provided to Thornley Groves before the commencement of the Tenancy. Alternatively, you can authorise Thornley Groves to obtain a Gas Safety Record on your behalf. This safety check must be carried out on an annual basis and previous certificates kept for at least 2 years by the Landlord/Agent.

Breach of the regulations is a criminal offence and could result in loss of life. If you do not comply, you risk being prosecuted, and this could result in you facing imprisonment or a fine of up to £20,000, or both, for each offence. If the case is then referred to the Crown Court, the maximum penalty may be imprisonment, or an unlimited fine, or both. It is also likely that any insurance cover could be invalidated for non-compliance of the regulations.

Electrical Safety Check

In accordance with The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020, private landlords are required to ensure that electrical installation inspections and testing are carried out for all new tenancies from 1st July 2020 and by 1st April 2021 for existing tenancies. To remain compliant an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) must be carried out every five years, every fixed installation must be inspected and tested by a skilled and competent registered electrician, and a copy of the report must be provided to each tenant within 28 days of a tenancy completing. Where there is an existing EICR, this must be supplied to any new tenant before occupation or any prospective tenant within 28 days of it being requested. Where there is a potential breach reported within the EICR and further investigative or remedial works are needed, the landlord must ensure that this is carried out by a skilled and competent registered electrician within 28 days or the period specified within the report if this is less than 28 days.


Landlords have a legal duty to ensure that their rental property, and any electrical equipment provided, is safe before a tenancy begins and throughout its duration. All electrical appliances you provide, such as cookers and washing machines, must be safe and have the minimum CE marking. Faulty plugs, leads and appliances cause the majority of electric shock fatalities in homes. Therefore, we strongly recommend that an electrical safety report covering Portable Appliance Tests (PAT) be completed prior to the tenancy start date. Copies of electrical safety certificates must be provided to Thornley Groves before the commencement of the tenancy. Alternatively, you can authorise Thornley Groves to obtain electrical safety reports on your behalf.


Not upholding electrical safety standards, as required by the law, is a serious offence. Proven breaches of the regulations can result in the Local Housing Authority imposing a financial penalty of up to £30,000. If electrical installations and appliances provided by you are found to be unsafe, you could also face six months imprisonment, potential criminal charges in the event of injury or death and invalidated property and landlords, insurance.

Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

As of 1 October 2015, by law the Landlord must ensure that a smoke alarm is fitted on each storey of the rented premises and checks must be made by or on behalf of the Landlord to make sure that each alarm is in proper working order on the day that the Tenancy begins (if it is a new Tenancy). Heat detectors are not a replacement for smoke alarms. Carbon Monoxide detectors are required in every room where there is solid fuel burning equipment – such as a coal fire, wood burning stove, AGA. Therefore, it is the Landlord’s / the Landlord’s Agent (if the property is managed) responsibility to ensure the smoke alarms are installed, tested and working before any Tenancy commences. After the Landlord’s test on the first day of the Tenancy, Tenants should take responsibility for their own safety and test all alarms regularly to make sure they are in working order.

Testing monthly is generally considered an appropriate frequency for smoke alarms. If Tenants find that their alarm(s) are not in working order during the Tenancy, they are advised to arrange the replacement of the batteries or the alarm itself with the Landlord or Managing Agent. It is illegal to move a Tenant into a property without fully functional smoke alarms on ALL floors of the property. The local authority is responsible for enforcement. If the Landlord is in breach, the local authority may require the Landlord to pay a penalty charge up to a maximum of £5,000. 

If needed, your local fire and rescue authority may be able to provide further advice on installation or you can download fire safety information from:

Furniture and Furnishings

In accordance with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 – Amended 1993 a Landlord is required to ensure all furniture within the Property conforms to the 1993 amendments of this Act of Parliament. Manufacturers’ labels showing the use of fire resistant material, match and cigarette resistance test pass results should be permanently attached to the relevant items which include: arm chairs, three piece suites, sofas, sofa beds, futons and other convertible furniture. Beds, bed bases and headboards, mattresses, divans and pillows. Garden furniture which could be used indoors. Nursery furniture. Loose, stretch and fitted covers for furniture, scatter cushions, seat pads and pillows. This regulation does not currently apply to carpets and curtains.

Non-compliance is a Criminal Offence and could result in a fine, imprisonment or both. You could also be liable for civil prosecution.

Energy Performance Certificate

As of 1 October 2008 Energy Performance Certificates (EPC’S) are a mandatory requirement for all new lets and are valid for 10 years. A copy of the certificate must be provided to Thornley Groves or alternatively, you can authorise Thornley Groves to obtain an Energy Performance Certificate on your behalf.

There are fixed penalties for failing to provide an EPC/make one available when required. The fixed penalty is £200 per dwelling. In addition, for all new tenancies starting on or after 1 October 2015, Landlords have to provide the EPC to tenants prior to the tenancy move in, otherwise they risk invalidating any Section 21 Notice that is served.  

Legionella Risk Assessment

Recent changes in the UK Health and Safety Executive’s Approved Code of Practice L8 (“Legionnaire’s disease: The control of legionella bacteria in water systems”) means that Landlords must carry out a Legionella Risk Assessment of rented properties. The Health and Safety Executive Code of Practice states that this is a legal requirement in accordance with the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002. A copy of the risk assessment must be provided to Thornley Groves before the commencement of the Tenancy. Alternatively, you can authorise Thornley Groves to obtain a Legionella Risk Assessment on your behalf. This risk assessment must be reviewed every 12 months and written records must be kept for at least 5 years by the Landlord / Agent. The risk assessment must be completed by someone with the necessary competence, knowledge and expertise.

Right to Rent Checks

In line with the Immigration Act 2014, from 1 February 2016 all Landlords and letting agents in England who allow a Tenancy are required to make ID and Right to Rent checks on all adult occupiers. The scheme is compulsory and makes it mandatory for anyone who rents out private property in England to see and make a copy of evidence that any new adult Tenant has the right to rent in the UK, be this continuous or time limited.

Landlords or agents who fail to do these checks correctly could be liable for a fine of up to £3,000 per occupier.

Under Section 22 of the Immigration Act 2014, a Landlord must not authorise an adult to occupy property as their main or only home under a residential Tenancy agreement unless the adult is a British Citizen, Swiss national, from a European Economic Area or has other proof of a continued right to rent in the UK. Landlords should carry out ‘Right to Rent’ checks for new Tenancy Agreements to determine whether Tenants have the right to live in the UK legally. An Applicant may have a time-limited right to rent if they are from outside of the UK or EEA and this can be proved using the correct documentary evidence:

  • Verify the ‘Right-to-Rent’ of a prospective Applicant
  • Establish whether a ‘Right-to-Rent’ is continuous or time limited
  • Report to the home office in the event of expiry of the ‘Right-to-Rent’.

NRL1i Form

United Kingdom rental income is liable to UK Tax whether the Landlord lives in the UK or not, and Thornley Groves has to deduct tax when paying the rent to any Landlord whose usual place of abode is outside the UK. Form NRL1i enables an individual whose usual place of abode is outside the UK to apply to have his or her UK rental income paid without deduction of UK tax. The Inland Revenue’s approval of application does not mean that the rent is exempt from UK tax and they may request completion of a UK Self Assessment Tax Return at a later date to confirm any tax due. NRL1i forms and guidance notes are available online at

sell my house

Thornley Groves Estate Agents
Business Address:16-18 Lloyd Street,Altrincham,Cheshire,WA14 2DE,England |Tel: 0161 941 4111 |Email: [email protected].
Company No. 02674298 |Business hours are